Band/orchestral composers (was instrumental straightjackets)

-----Original Message-----
From: Richard Cookson <RichardCookson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: INTERNET:brass-band@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <brass-band@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 26 April 1998 22:44
Subject: Instrumental straightjackets (was alternative instrument for cornet
players

The fact is, the whole point writing for brass bands is being able to make
effective music with the limited tone colours available

I agree absolutely. I think you have misread my point - perhaps I should
have changed the subject from 'Instrumental Straightjackets' to something
else.

It's alright banding about the names of famous orchestral
composers who haven't written much for brass band but I think it's a sort
of snobbery.

Definitely not snobbery - I just earnestly wish that brass bands were
treated as much as a relevant and valid musical medium as are the
professional orchestras.  I'm a bit surprised at this snobbery charge,
considering that it comes from a member of a band (Besses) who in its time
has done its fair share to promote new music by prominent composers.

There are many fine composers in the brass band medium, (many
with Salvation Army backgrounds) who compose excellent music for brass
bands, but don't compose for orchestra.

An entirely fair point, and one which I myself made in my original message.
But to reiterate - the music-going public at large recognise the names who
write for orchestra and not band.  They don't (on the whole) recognise the
names who write for band but not orchestra.  Wouldn't it be wonderful if
devotees of both mediums were familiar with one another's composers, and
eventually amalgamated into one,  in the pursuit of good music?  And it is
the music-going public at large that we are supposed to be playing
to/entertaining/educating - isn't it???

 Elgar's Severn Suite, how often do you hear it played? not very often
because quite honestly it is not very good!

What a pity that Elgar wasn't persuaded to persevere and hone his skills at
scoring for band!

Best wishes

Alec