Re: Band/orchestral composers (was instrumental straightjackets)

Alec Gallagher wrote:

>From: Richard Cookson <RichardCookson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
>>There are many fine composers in the brass band medium, (many
>>with Salvation Army backgrounds) who compose excellent music for brass
>>bands, but don't compose for orchestra.
>
>An entirely fair point, and one which I myself made in my original message.
>But to reiterate - the music-going public at large recognise the names who
>write for orchestra and not band.  They don't (on the whole) recognise the
>names who write for band but not orchestra.  Wouldn't it be wonderful if
>devotees of both mediums were familiar with one another's composers, and
>eventually amalgamated into one,  in the pursuit of good music?  And it is
>the music-going public at large that we are supposed to be playing
>to/entertaining/educating - isn't it???

I agree entirely which is why I'm looking into how the National Brass Band
Centre can help build better links between organisations such as the Society
for the Promotion of New Music and the British Music Information Centre on
one hand and bands on the other.  Working alongside respected mainstream
arts groups with relevant experience in this area will hopefully help with
wider music-listening public appreciate our world.

Peter Denton
Development Officer, National Brass Band Centre

(but these comments are still mine and may not directly reflect official
policy of either BFBB or BBHT)