Re: Back Row (was where should f. sit)

> From: Adrian Drover <saxhorn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> To: brass-band@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: Re: Back Row (was where should f. sit)
> Date: 26 April 1998 16:49
>
> On 25 Apr, Alastair Wheeler <alastair@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 24 Apr 1998, I wrote:
>
> > > Why do so many bands place all of their younger and inexperienced
> > > players on the 2nd and 3rd cornet parts?
>
> > Because the parts are easier....
>
> This is not always true. The back row are often allocated the notes below
> the stave that are difficult to play in tune (D, C#, G, F#), not to
mention
> awkwardness of fingering and ability of good tone production. If you
don't
> have experienced players on these parts, the score is bound to sound
> terrible.

I agree with Adrian that the parts are not always easier on the back row.
Take the test piece for the Europeans this weekend (Burlesque) as an
example.  2nd cornets have triplets up to top D's & 3rd cornets go up to
top C.  Both parts have high notes and plenty of low notes, plus plenty of
technique.  The parts would be a struggle for front row cornet players in
many bands.  The front row part is much harder than the back row parts !!
The amount of stamina required is massive.  I don't think many people like
the piece, but it certainly is demanding all around the band.

We get many tests pieces these days with the kind of writing on the back
row that you only expect to see on the front row.  And you can't always
move parts to other players, as there are so many different parts going on
at any one time.

I played a couple of concerts on 2nd cornet for Brighouse a few months ago
(filling in during my spell working away, prior to coming back full time)
and it really opened my eyes.  Its not as simple as you think.  Give back
row cornet players credit, they deserve it.

Martin Irwin
Soprano cornet
Brighouse & Rastrick band