Re: In defence of the repiano:

Hi Adrian,

Been following this thread and found it useful and informative on the
history, roles of the different parts from different perspectives and the
thoughts behind arranging. Thanks to you, Alistair and others for the
discussion :-)

Being a baritone player I just had to jump in on this message!<G>

>>There are other outdated labels for brass band instrumentation.
<snip>
Why is there a Solo Horn, when playing solo is not its sole function. In
fact, it seems to be fashionable these days to give the solo hornist the
2nd part in a 4 part flugel and tenor horn voicing.
<snip>
The euphonium probably plays more solos than anyone else, yet there is no
"Solo Euphonium". Why is there no "Solo" position for Trombone or Bass
Trombone or Bass or Flugel?<<

Surely the lead Euphonium is referred to as Solo Euphonium, Lead
Trombone/1st Trombone as Solo Trombone?
I don't know the historical basis behind this except that the lead
Euphonium, lead trombone, lead horn are referred to as the "corner-men" and
designated Solo?

I've also seen at times the 1st Baritone part referred to as Solo Baritone?

I assume that Bass Trombone and Flugel by default are both solo as there's
only one of each?

No idea about the basses as they seem to be a law unto themselves<G>

>> Oops, I forgot the poor old baritones. What
function are they supposed to fill? Don't answer that!<<

Since you asked, this is where I just had to jump in!<G>

I play 2nd baritone so I suppose that this part is even lower down the band
hierarchy than 1st baritone?<G>...I've certainly never been referred to as
a 2nd Solo baritone! ;-)

Some of the functions I seem to perform:
1. Do the counting of the umpteen bars rests and jog the 1st baritone when
they are due in.
2. Take the blame when the tuning is out in the ill-defined middle of the
band
3. Cross out some of the quiet pp bars where the 1st and 2nd baritones are
scored so that the 1st baritone doesn't have to play as quiet.
4. Be the expert to help with the march off beat rhythms with the 2nd/3rd
cornets
5. Help out the 2nd Euph on the low passages ...often in unison with the
basses (or rather an octave up).
6. Provide the notes in chords that add substance but aren't noticeable
...unless they're out of tune.
7. Double with the 2nd Trombone ...or sometimes one of the horns.
8. Play 1st Baritone when he/she doesn't turn up at rehearsal.

That's about all I can think of ATM. Although there are probably more.

Although several of these functions are tongue in cheek there is an element
of truth in quite a few of them.

Regards

Mike Smith
2nd Baritone