Re: Instrumental straightjackets (was alternative instrument for cornet players

Concertante for Piano and Brass Band by Edward Gregson can also be
found  on a CD (Heavy Weight HR002/D)  of the 1989 National's Gala
Concert.  It's performed by the composer and backed by Rigid Containers
Group Band conducted by Bramwell Tovey.
Gregson composed this during his student days (1966) at the Royal
Academy of Music in London and while he was still involved with The
Salvation Army which are both reflected in the piece.  The last movement
uses "Onward Christian Soldiers" as it's theme.

I believe you can still obtain it from Heavyweight Records Ltd. PO BOX
57, Kettering, Northants, NN15 5PL

While on this piano thread, here are a few others.

Gershwin's Rhapsody In Blue was recorded by the GUS Band in 1982 on a
Chandos LP with Frank Wibaut on piano and Keith Wilkinson MD (also his
arrangement)

Rhapsody for Piano (three hands) and Brass Band by Gordon Jacob
....piano soloists - Phyllis Sellick and Cyril Smith recorded with the
Solna Brass (Sweden) conducted by Per Ohlsson. This is on a 1972 Granada
(EMI) recording.

In 1959 Erik Leidzen arranged and performed the 2nd and 3rd movements of
the Grieg Piano Concerto with the New York Staff Band (Richard E. Holz,
conductor)

(Dr.) Ron Smart of Australia then arranged the first movement of the
Grieg Concerto but for a slightly smaller instrumentation during his
sojourn to California in the 60s.........

Mark Freeh (NYC)