Re: Request for Info.

Apologies to anybody who receives this twice - I sent it yesterday
but have not received any acknowledgment from the listserv, and
haven't seen the message posted either.
DR

> Fulham Band have just played a briliiant concert (packed house) and now one
> of the items has set my mind wondering to find out more about it.  The
> piece was Matteson's Air and Fulham played it as a concert solo.  The
> composer Mattheson was around at the same time as J.S. Bach and we think he
> was also an organist.  Can anybody on the List expand please?

Angela,
Johann Mattheson (b.Hamburg 1681, d. Hamburg 1764) was a German
composer, critic, music journalistm lexicographer and theorist.
He was a child prodigy and performed on the organ and sang in various
Hamburg churches. He also joined the Hamburg opera, making his debut
singing female roles, and then progressing to Tenor when his voice
broke.
Met Handel in 1703, with whom he cultivated a good friendship over
the next few years, but later had an argument that resulted in a
duel, Handel's life only being spared by a large button on his coat
which Mattheson struck with his sword. They later made up again!
Married in 1709 to the daughter of an English minister, and became a
cathedral organist a few years later, which he had to give up due to
increasing deafness. Became completely deaf by 1735, but wrote many
works (mainly opera) after this date. Also worked as secretary to the
English Ambasador, and translated several important articles,
treatises etc from English into German while in this role.

This is just the very bare bones, there is a 3 page article in the
New Grove Dictionary of Music and Musicians which you should be able
to find in any large public library with a decent music section.
Alternatively I can copy it and send it to you if you wish.
Hope this has been of some interest.

Dave Roberts,
MD, Pangbourne and District Silver Band
"Reality is an illusion caused by alcohol deficiency" - Unknown

David Roberts
Acting Assistant Librarian
Royal Academy of Music
Marylebone Road