Re: Instrumental straightjackets

Larry White wrote:
> p.s. Are all your troubles over regarding the disqualification of your
> band earlier this spring?

They all really like contesting at City of Oxford and so do I. It's done
a lot for the band and it will be a shame if the two year goal of
getting to the RAH from the middle of the 1st section is delayed by a
year :-)

I had a chat with one of the London orchestra's principal trombones last
night and he said he had a problem with brass bands because the people
rarely have anything good to say about people in other bands. Talk to
the pros in London about their opposite numbers in other orchestras and
they'll usually have nothing but praise and respect. Maybe he has put it
a little strongly about banders, but from my experience there is truth
in some of that. That sort of BB attitude can only have come from
constant rivalry in contesting.

And I think we are a little lacking in serious musical credibility
outside banding. Is contesting the reason behind this?

Dave

--
David Read			     Queens' College
dtr20@xxxxxxxxx		      Cambridge CB3 9ET