Non-contesting bands

To:       brass-band@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
cc:
From:     Robert C Knight @ SB_PHARM_RD
Date:     30-Apr-98 10:29:58 AM
Subject:  Non-contesting bands
Categories:

First, many thanks to Adrian and others for informative replies on the
relationship between the families of brass instruments.

As for contests:  obviously competition has its merits in advancing
performing standards, but (IMO) there's a place for non-contesting bands,
too. I asked some of my colleagues at Blewbury why they prefer not to
compete:

We don't want to
There aren't enough of us
Some of us play in other bands too
Some of us are often away on business...

The result is an enthusiastic (I mean that - some of us travel 80 miles
each way to rehearsals!) small band that can provide good performances at
local events and a lot of fun for the participants.

There must be lots of similar non-contesting bands, and it would be good to
hear from them on the list - we'd be happy to include links to your web
sites from ours (http://dales.rmplc.co.uk/jeremy/bbb.htm) if you send me
the URL.

And of course if you're within striking distance and want to play in a
non-contest band - please get in touch!

Bob Knight
Flugel/Secretary
Blewbury and District Brass Band