Re: In defence of the repiano, etc.

On 28 Apr, Cameron Mabon <cmabon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> As for french horns and trumpets, I don't believe they would add
> anything  to the sound of a band that can't be achieved with the current
> instrumentation.

> French horns in particular would stick out like a sore  thumb in a brass
> band.

In your first sentence you say french horns cannot add anything to the
brass sound, and in the second you say they would stick out like a sore
thumb. Is this not a little contradictory.

The whole point of my argument is that the brass band needs
instrumentation that will create contrast.

> One of the beauties of the brass band is its  ability to create a
> homogeneous, organ-like sound.

My whole point. That's what it's best at. But organ tone becomes boring
after a couple of minutes.

> French horns simply  could not fit into such a sound.

That's true ;-)

Adrian

--
 /    \ _| (_)___   _____ ADRIAN DROVER