Re: In defence of the repiano, etc.

On Thu, 30 Apr 1998, Adrian Drover wrote:

> In your first sentence you say french horns cannot add anything to the
> brass sound, and in the second you say they would stick out like a sore
> thumb. Is this not a little contradictory.

I suppose it is. What I should have said was that French Horns can't add
anything *good* to the brass band sound! ;-)

> > One of the beauties of the brass band is its  ability to create a
> > homogeneous, organ-like sound.
>
> My whole point. That's what it's best at. But organ tone becomes boring
> after a couple of minutes.

Notice that I said that the ability to create a homogeneous sound was
only ONE of the beauties of the brass band. Another is its ability to
create contrast without changing/adding instruments.

Cameron

--
  Cameron Mabon (International Idiot)	   cmabon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  Piano, cornet and duck-call