Re: Instrumental straightjackets

On Mon, 27 Apr 1998, David Read wrote:

> I'm not suggesting that brass bands should be thinking of adding strings
> and wind. That is an orchestra and is a lot different. The proposals
> being bounced around here are for horns that are a little different in
> sound, perhaps an extra trombone or cornets doubling on trumpets. A
> slight shift in the tonal capacity of the brass band, but still possibly
> a great brass band. New ideas that might breathe new life into banding.

How come I don't see people clamoring around the world to hear brass
choirs? I'd venture to say that many more great brass bands have made
their mark in the musical world than the London Brass Consort and the
Summit Brass have.

Plus, I'd suggest that brass banding is growing exponentially (yes, it's
an exaggeration) or at least very heartily in the States. The number of
amatuer bands and theior performance level has continued to rise along
with NABBA (the North American brass Band Association). Maybe it's just us
yanks taking over again, eh? :)

> > On the subject of contesting. Bandsmen play in contesting bands because
> > they enjoy contesting.
>
> Granted - it's fun and exciting. But does it do the brass band good
> musically?

Isn't the goal of the contests to increase the level of musicianship among
the bands and bandsmen/women by challenging them with the test piece?

> Would a highest note competition? Would a loudest note
> competition? They might be fun too.

Oh come on, don't be ridiculous!

> (Interestingly do bands try and play the piece
> differently like this, or just in the 'standard' way?)

Each band tries to put its own spin on test pieces. Intrpretation is what
makes music, is it not?

> Fresh musical ideas are the lifeblood of bands and these will most
> freely be cultivated on the concert platform or recording.

Yes, they still are and always will be. But why do those of us who enjoy
contesting and the traditional brass band have to suffer for it when it
comes time to do what we enjoy also?