RE: re: F Horn in brass bands

> Kees, nobody on this list has mentioned the overpowering
> sound of the eupho. IMHO 2 euphos' is one too many.

Come on Ian, you didn't expect to write this and not get flamed did you?
:-)
Seriously though, 2 euphs are required, especially when trying to get a
beautiful counter-melody heard against this great wall of 10 cornets
sound. Also a pair of euphs in harmony is a wonderful sound. When
accompanying soloists (and other similar passages), the players should
have sufficient musicianship to know when to drop to just one player,
even if it is not written, and not always to the first player depending
on what is coming up and has gone before. With the range of the
instrument and the demand placed on it, I don't know many players who
would like to drop one of the euphoniums, why attack 2 euphoniums over
the 4 solo cornets? Take a look at the etymology of Euphonium before
decrying it! There are plenty of other instruments that can punch
through the band sound and spring to mind before euph (eg sop and bass
tromb, oh dear, that'll get me flamed!).

Can we now stop reinventing the Brass Band with different
instrumentation, please?

Nick. (Euphonium player as if you couldn't guess)
P.S. I will allow you that my spell checker wants to change "euph" to
"oaf"!