Re: re: F Horn in brass bands

On Wed, 6 May 1998, Ian P Daly wrote:

> Kees, nobody on this list has mentioned the overpowering sound of the eupho.
> IMHO 2 euphos' is one too many. The F'horn has much to offer, it's just
> not written for. To dismiss it by saying it doesn't fit (blend) is

French horn facts:

one J. Foster was a french horn player.....
Up till the end of the 19th century, arrangments often had 4 horn parts.
They were marked for 'horns' and 'tenors' in pairs, a conjecture (in Roy
Newsome's recent book) being that the lower parts were played on, or
playable on, french horns.  In other words, they've been tried and
discarded.  In fact, all sorts of things were tried and found wanting in
the 19th century, un

> anachronistic. Tuned percussion didn't fit either until the 60's (?)Like

Eh?  Read Denis Wright.  We says, in about the 30s, 'some of the bigger
concert bands have...' and lists bells (diatonic in Eb) glock and Timps
(with a reminder to tune them :)  can't remember about xylophone.

--
  Alastair Wheeler
  Euphonium & Trombone			      Fundamental Brass