Brass-band Digest V4 #125

Message text written by INTERNET:Alec Gallagher

>Isn't up to you, the musician, to provide the challenge to the public?
Music would never develop if  musicians and composers did not provide the=

listening public with new challenges.  Lead, man, don't follow - it's you=
duty!!<

All very good in theory, but the fact is, the park concert going public
don't want to be challenged!

Try playing challenging music in a few park concerts, and you'll soon fin=
that you aren't invited to play next year!

When I go to park concerts I expect (and want) to hear marches, overtures=

and selections etc. (As an aside I would like to say that I also used to
like hearing the classic 19th century waltzes but brass bands sadly seem
play these much less in the last few years.)

I would venture to suggest that the vast majority of members of contestin=
bands enjoy contesting, as it isn't compulsory you know, any band who
doesn't like contesting is perfectly free to stick to park concerts. The
fact that most bands elect to enter contests answers the question.

Richard Cookson
EEb Bass
Besses o' th' Barn