French Horns

Interesting following the french horn thread -
I was listening the other day to the Firebird CD - the last section
(often known as the final hymn) starts in the orchestral original with a
french horn. Now, the band arrangement puts the french horn part on
euphonium. For me, it changes the whole feel of the music. But would that
be put right by using a french horn? Possibly but there is also another
solution:

I don't recall having heard a french horn player with a massive vibrato
- when transcribing this paricular work for euphonium, no indication was
given on the score as to use of vibrato. End result is, imho, probably not
what stravinsky intended and for me, it loses the magic of the original.

There are a lot of differences in tone colour available to brass bands if
only we would use them!

As a further example, take the trombone sole "Sentimental" - the
instrument itself has the ability to sound like Tommy Dorsey yet how many
brass band trombone players can do this?
(we should remember that many of the greats of
the big band world started off in brass bands,Lusher, Baker, Watkins to
name but 3).

=A0=A0
Andy Wooler
Resident Conductor, Uckfield Concert Brass
MD The Classic Dance Band, Trumpet: Sussex Symphony Orchestra
andy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx , http://www.awooler.demon.co.uk