Re: Enjoying Contests (long)

In your Message regarding "Re: Enjoying Contests (long)" dated 08 May 98,
David Read <dtr20@xxxxxxxxx> said that ...

> it is a brave band that ignores the strict
> crotchet-138 marking for example. Okay, middle movements will vary from
> band to band, but how often will a band approach a section differently?
>
> So we have a quasi-musical environment leading to bands all with common
> expression. That's not what I want to hear.

That's not what I want to hear either but it would seem that most
adjudicators do! We were brave (or foolhardy depending on your view!)
enough to take the middle section of Purcell Variations well below the
bottom of the mraked range - didn't do us any favours as far as the judge
was concerned but the interpretation did however impress the members of
the band - we learnt a lot from the whole experience of rehearsing the
work and performing it and that's the real benefit of contesting.

=A0=A0
Andy Wooler
Resident Conductor, Uckfield Concert Brass
MD The Classic Dance Band, Trumpet: Sussex Symphony Orchestra
andy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx , http://www.awooler.demon.co.uk