Re: Brass-band Digest V4 #125

Richard Cookson wrote:

> I would venture to suggest that the vast majority of members of contesting
> bands enjoy contesting, as it isn't compulsory you know, any band who
> doesn't like contesting is perfectly free to stick to park concerts. The
> fact that most bands elect to enter contests answers the question.

I agree with the entire text (not requoted) about Park playing - "the
public" want marches, Selections, golden oldies etc etc and so do I.

And whats more, not every bandsperson (yuch!) wants contesting either.
We have a whole band full of bandsmen (many of whom have spent many
years contesting) who have it in our constitution - rule 1 "No
Contesting".

But as the Arabs say, all the fingers of the hand are not the same
length - so each to his own...

Steve larwood
Euphonium, Melbourne Town Band