Re: Enjoying Contests (long)

David Read wrote:

> Cameron Mabon wrote:
> > P.S. In evolutionary terms, brass bands (including all facets of the
> > movement such as contesting, silly uniforms etc.) can probably be
> > regarded
> > as an E.S.S. (that is, an evolutionary stable strategy). The modern brass
> > band exists because it works (for whatever reasons - musical, social or
> > whatever), just as we all have eyes because they enable us to see,
> > and seeing is generally
> > a good thing to be able to do.
>
> Cameron correct me if I'm wrong (you are obviously more qualified to
> talk about this than I), but it appears your revision of evolution is
> lacking of the main mechanisms. These are variations within the species
> and random mutations which either survive or die based on criteria. For
> a bird the criteria is living healthily to reproduce. For bands the
> criteria seem to be producing the 'stuff' on the contest stage.

Not in our Band it isnt.  And we are not alone.  And doling out a hard
time because one doesn't like a person's analogy seems to me to be a bit
educational elitist to me.

> On a simlar vein, people's lives have changed since 1900. Music is part
> of life and we have seen it change a great deal as well. So why should
> the instrumentation stay constant? I find comments such as "it was the
> best way 100 years ago so it is obviously best now" rather odd in art.
> Survival requires flexibility and possible adaption to new environments.

I drive a Triumph Stag, built in the time of "Red Robbo" (1975) with all
its faults.  It is a V8 3 litre, and performs the same as a modern
Escort 1800i.  But I (and 8000+ others - Stag Owners Club members) like
it.  And I dont want it changing, because I like its values.  I also
accept that plenty don't.  But that is what freedom of expression is all
about.  Don't you just lurv car analogies...<g>

> Don't get me wrong, I love listening to bands in a contest. But if you
> take away the excitement of who's better than who, the bands are
> generally musically all aiming for the way Black Dyke plays the piece.
> Because that's what'll probably win it.

So collective musicianship has nothing to do with it, its the idiom?

Steve Larwood
Euphonium, Melbourne Town Band (UK not Oz)