Re: French Horns

Anyone in the UK might wish to broach this subject with Norman
Bearcroft. Norman was a french horn player who wrote extensively for the
Salvation Army before his retirement to the South of England. It was my
feeling that he wrote Euph parts in a high register and asked for them
to be played with no vib and a fair bit of tension to get a sound
somewhat characteristic of a french horn. I never discussed this with
him so don't know if this is true or not but that's the way I heard the
sounds.
Dave Buckley.