European championships

Dear all,
First of all thanks to all the people who sent their congratulations to the
Brighouse & Rastrick band on winning the contest.  Secondly let me give you
my account of the proceedings (& results).  The following are my own
thoughts, and may not be the views of the B&R band.

I don't think the results were a huge scandal at all.  We are not always
going to agree with who we think should/will win.  I would prefer the words
"I didn't agree with the results" rather than saying "a huge scandal".
Come
on chaps, get a grip.

There's no doubting that YBS were the best band on the set piece, even we
acknowledge that.  I think their downfall was the choice of Blitz as their
own choice piece.  They did play it very well, but as many people have
already said so far, there isn't much opportunity in the piece to show off
the bands musicality, which we know they are capable of.  The players
played what David King wanted, but it wasn't a winning piece.  Basically
they played notes.  Even though it isn't a winning piece, they did play it
well and I am surprised how little points they got for it.

B&R took the risk of playing a technically demanding AND musically
demanding piece and it paid off.  There were a few splits here and there
but so what, we played the most musical performance of the day, and thats
what won it for us in the end.

And what is it coming to when David King tries to rouse public support with
his very poor theatrics just prior to the last note of Blitz.  Obviously
YBS were the audiences favourite as a result, but its judged on how well
you
play I'm afraid.  Its just a shame the adjudicators couldn't see him do it,
they
might have won then !!

I think congratulations must go to the Point of Air band for coming 3rd,
after
a great performance of Sounds.  We actually beat them twice on the day,
once in the contest followed by a 3-0 victory in a drinking contest in the
bar
afterwards!

Martin Irwin
Soprano cornet