Re: Enjoying Contests (long)

On Sun, 10 May 1998, Howard wrote:

> 1)  Does the fact that the modern brass band has survived much better than
> any other format of brass ensemble really mean that it is MUSICALLY the
> best possible combination of brass instruments?  Could it perhaps
> (the horror, the horror) be merely a reasonably well-balanced ensemble
> which has reached its superior status for other social and economic
> reasons...

Agreed. At the end of the day, it doesn't matter why the brass band has
evolved. The fact is that it has, and that it is now so well established
that, in my opinion, no other alternative (i.e. no other evolutionary
"strategy" in the biologist's lingo) can be more successful in the long
term. (Whether that is musically "right" or "wrong" is not important).
Only a change in environment (e.g. the way the majority of people think
about having french horns in brass bands) could knock the current brass
band from its evolutionary top spot.

It is worth mentioning that in biology, the outcome of an evolutionary
contest is generally easy to determine - a mutant with bigger claws
and/or bigger body size would generally beat a smaller, less well
endowed opponent. It is only my opinion that bands with french horns
would be no better than standard bands that enables me to draw the
analogy between evolutionary stability and brass bands. (I must have too
much time on my hands...)

> 2) Does the fact that the brass band is accepted to be the "evolutionarily
> superior" or even "best" option of the brass ensembles which have so far
> been attempted make it wrong for composers and/or bands to continue
> experimenting?  Not every combination of instrumentation has been tried
> yet, and there might be one which works better.  This would not in any way
> threaten the stability of the current lineup if it actually is the best,
> so what's the harm in trying?

That is a good point. I would say in response that many of the
alternatives have been tried at some point, and they have been found to
be inferior to the current set-up. However, the practical difficulties
of including french horns in brass bands (or trying other novel
instrumentations) are a big obstacle, when it is very easy to continue
with the same instrumentation. In the evolutionary metaphor, random
mutations do occur in nature, but they are very rare. Mutations that
confer advantages are even more rare. For those mutations to become
fixed in the population is yet more rare, and dependant on the
environment, not to mention the other genes in the organism concerned.

Cameron

--
  Cameron Mabon (International Idiot)	   cmabon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  Piano, cornet and duck-call