Re: French Horns

Yeah... Norm......so far no checks in the mail.  I think I can speak for
Adrian.... We are both for hire.

But being serious......we were all "budding" once..... and needed an
influence, and as much help as we could get.  Mine were Erik Leidzen,
Gilbert Vinter, Johnny Richards and Billy May.  I was fortunate to study
with Erik Leidzen and learned a great deal by copying his scores.  I had
the "honor" of copying "None Other Name",  a Salvation Army classic.  I
later became Johnny Richard's copiest.  As you may know, Johnny Richards
composed "Cuban Fire", "Adventures In Time" and arranged "West Side Story"
all for Stan Kenton and all Grammy winners. Everyone should be so lucky to
be around such legends like these men.  I met Billy May once but never had
the pleasure of meeting Gilbert Vinter.  Now this would be and interesting
thread....
Maybe this list is to young.  Well... that is, outside of you Norm...
Adrian...Dave Buckley and a few others....... better stop while I'm
ahead.......

Mark Freeh (NYC)
----------

P.S.  I know Brian Bowen and I believe Bill Himes monitor this list.  It
would be good to hear about their experiences and influences.
As we say in America, "Step Up To Bat"  (Oh yes... and Canada too.....)

Just trying to get an interesting thread going.......

************

> From: Norm Harris <normal@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
> To: brass-band@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: Re: French Horns
> Date: Tuesday, May 12, 1998 8:04 AM
>

> The previous discussions between Mark Freeh and Adrian Drover have been
> fantastic. I wonder just how many budding arrangers out there took the
trouble to
> save their exchanges for utilisation in their future arrangements. Under
normal
> circumstances you might pay big bucks to get that information off either
of them.

> Norm
>

> Peter Younghusband wrote:
>
> > > Hey Norm
> > >
> > > what about all those pro violinists who use vib on every  note
> > > not to mention the cellists.. bit of an all encompassing,numb kind of
> > > statement perhaps?
> > >  Still each to his own eh norm:)
> >
> > Dear Norm,
> >
> > Ed Martin, Willupson Big Band, brass band trained still living in WA.
> >
> > What a load of shit.
> >
> > Call back please.
> >
> > Ed Martin c/o Monkey
> >
> > > Nige Beasley