Re: Vibrato

Vibrato has to be balanced against the overall volume (and this ain't
happening with the Dyke).  While we continue to increase the dynamic range
of the brass band, we need to straighten the tone in order to achieve any
sense of ensemble.  Philip McCann (and the Sellers band) is a great example
of the old school vibrato and not above a mf sound that pleases so many of
our elders and works very well to most audiences.   I however, do greatly
appreciate "The Edge" that Grimethorpe and Desford has and feel it to be a
great to addition to the arsenol of color.  At the new fortissimo levels
however, the vibrato must be left and restored at a lesser volume if we are
to maintain the ensemble which the brass band is known for.     I say, lets
keep McCann on one edge of the spectrum to balance the new agressive sounds
that seem to be taking the movement by storm

John Aren