Re: Rhapsody in Blue Opening

Adrian Drover wrote:

> On 11 May, Cameron Mabon <cmabon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > The original clarinet part was written as a scale, not a glissando, if I
> > remember correctly. The clarinet player with the Paul Whiteman orchestra
> > added the gliss on the top few notes at the first performance (much of
> > which, Gershwin improvised at the piano, incidentally).
>
> If I remember correctly, the clarinet played a fingered gliss (diatonic or
> chromatic, I'm not sure which) through the low chalumeau register as far
> as the break, then a half holed and lipped gliss through the last octave
> on the 2nd harmonics (clarino register).

Well Adrian, I'm impressed!!  Someone else on a brass list that knows what a
woodwind can do.  I wondered what my first reply to this list would be.

I'm a clarinet/sax player that somehow managed to get myself involved playing
percussion with a brass band while my USAF husband is on loan to the RAF.  It's
a incredible experience-- there is not much to compare it to in the states, but
having to constantly defend my instrument (woodwind or perc.) gets a bit
old....

I'd love to play that opening for any band.  I don't mind getting out of the
way.  There are some pretty cool perc part in Rhapsody in Blue!!

Check out our web site at: http://www.geocities.com/Vienna/Choir/1250/

And we have a concert Sunday, 17th May at 2.45pm
New Park in Melton Mowbray.
E-mail us at      fossdyke@xxxxxxxxxxxxx    for more information.

Thank you.
Cathy Hill