Re: Smith & Watkins cornets

Andy Wooler suggested:

>I don't know about cornet players but according to Richard Smith, these
>are some of the players that use their instruments: (wish I could afford
>one hint hint richard!)

>John Wilbraham - sadly no longer with us I hear
>Nigel Boddice - West Lothian Schools band maestro
>Jim Shepherd - enough said!
>Derek Watkins - brass band beginnings, James Last
>Ken Wheeler
>Henry Lowther
>Martin Drover (Adrian's brother)

AFAIK Smith-Watkins instruments are so named because they are deisnged by
Richard Smith (who I think designed the original Sovereign cornet) in
consultation with Derek Watkins!  To quote from the latest Smith-Watkins
literature:

"Derek [Watkins] is a design consultant for Smith-Watkins Trumpets, Cornets
and Flugel Horns.  Since 1974, Derek has played exclusively on instruments
designed and made for him by Richard Smith."

Richard Smith recently wrote to me:

"I have supplied City of Chester Band with Cornets ... and now have some
interest from others.  That fact that I can now visit bands at their
rehearsals with sample instruments allows them to compare with competitors."

Richard Smith Musical Instruments can be contacted at:

110 The Vale, London, N14 6AY (Tel. 0181 822 1580)
e-mail: smithwatkins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.rsmi.u-net.com

I've never seen a Smith-Watkins instrument close up so wouldn't like to
comment but understand that they are handbuilt to order.  Price for Bb
cornet & Flugel approx =A31800 inc VAT, Soprano Cornet approx =A31600 inc=
 VAT!

Hope this helps

Peter Denton
Development Officer, National Brass Band Centre

(but these comments are still mine and may not directly reflect official
policy of either BFBB or BBHT)