Re: French Horns

On Tue, 12 May 1998, Norm Harris wrote:

> The previous discussions between Mark Freeh and Adrian Drover have been
> fantastic. I wonder just how many budding arrangers out there took the
> trouble to save their exchanges for utilisation in their future
> arrangements. Under normal circumstances you might pay big bucks to get
> that information off either of them.

As a 'budding arranger,' obviously with many thousands years of
experience, I've saved quite a bit of the discussion, but still disagree
on most of Adrian's points.

I looked up Adrian's ADIOS webpage and had a look at some of his samples.
The comparison between his brass band and tentet (aside - why
2 horns?  I thought the PJBE tentet was more standard, and more
comercial? :) arrangments was quite revealing - many are basically the
same, ie the BB versions are for a general large brass ensemble that
happens to be playable by a brass band.  IMHO this is a shame, as it looks
like Adrian isn't writing specifically for the combination we all know
and love...

Now the big band charts, another story... If I was buying for the OU Jazz
Orchestra I'd be interested.  I'd never have guessed Adrian was a bass
trombonist.....  Shame there's no samples of the trombone ensembles online
either.

--
  Alastair Wheeler
  Euphonium & Trombone				   Fundamental Brass