Re: Vibrato

> (mainly trumpet players or people who double on both) going to stop
> knocking the best of the British cornet players for their sound(mainly
> the use of VIB).

The subject of vibrato never fails to amuse me.  For sure, it's a personal
thing that some like and approve of, and others don't, but for me, it's an
optional tool to be used cautiously when appropriate.  Soprano singers seem
to feel that the 'vibrato-off-mode' is not an option.  String players always
seem to use vibrato to some extent - more in an echoey acoustic (for why, I
don't know).  For a cornet section (speaking as a cornetist), it rarely
works effectively due to the variance in players' widths and speeds of
vibrato.  As a soloist, and IMO this applies for both the trumpet AND the
cornet, it can add a lovely warming effect to parts of a passage.  But as
with many things, its absence is just as important as its presence.  Maybe
more so.  I'm sure I couldn't cope with 40`C sunny days every day of the
year!

Darren

--
Darren Ashman,  Principal cornet and Secretary
City of Cambridge Brass Band