Re: Vibrato

In your Message regarding "Re: Vibrato" dated 13 May 98, Ron Grice
<ronhg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> said that ...

> The true Brass band  cornet player wouldn't waste time playing a trumpet as it=
 will detract from
> their sound.

Sorry but that's not at all true - one of the biggest problems my own
band has during the summer is the fact that loads of our cornet players
are off gigging - amateur operatic societies, orchestras, dance bands,
you name it, they do it.
Whilst I would agree that it can have an impact on their sound, the
solution is in their own hands.
Looking at it from the other side, I play in a semi pro sysmphony
orchestra. On the last concert we did, the complete brass section
(excluding french horns) had current brass band connections.

> ,don't quote to me the couple of players that
> can do both very well they are the exception not the rule.

At an amatuer level, there are plenty over here who do both extremely well
Between us all on the list I'm sure we could give you more than a couple
of names.

As for P McC's sound, I think it's very well suited to the sort of thing
he's doing (World's Favourite Melodies volume 326 etc). However, it's not
my cup of tea and obviously not for others either. Musical taste is
neither right nor wrong - it' a personal thing.

=A0=A0
Andy Wooler
Resident Conductor, Uckfield Concert Brass
MD The Classic Dance Band, Trumpet: Sussex Symphony Orchestra
andy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx , http://www.awooler.demon.co.uk