Mccann/Trumpets/Smith Watkins!

Hello

Edy wrote:

> And a lot of bands (including the top ones) could use Phillip McCann as a
> conductor. It's a disaster he's not conducting anymore.
> I guess the way he 'left' Fodens and especially Sellers, disappointed him so
> much he's not looking forward to another adventure. Really a shame.

Phillip hasn't stopped conducting.  He's taking Rothwell's rehearsal
tonight and is in conducting the band in a concert in Staffordshire at the
weekend.  I understand that he is also coming along next week to help
prepare the band for the Masters the following weekend, although MD
Simon Woods is carving on the day.

On another part of this thread, playing trumpet really helps my
cornet playing and vice versa.  Changing instruments enables me
to understand how to work with or against the resistance of the
instruments and how to control tone colour, both with and without the
use of vibrato.  'Traditional' cornet technique also comes in handy on piccolo
trumpet, where the slightly softer articulation and tendency to play
well within the instrument's natural resistance helps me to make a
slightly less appalling noise.

The biggest problem with changing instruments comes when you quickly
swap back to trumpet and knock out all your teeth.

And on a different thread again (sorry), I played John Hudson's S + W
cornet last year and was tremendously impressed.  It felt (and blew)
like an instrument of real quality.   I'll buy one next time I find
myself with stlg1600 to spare.

David