Re: Vibrato

Somebody on the list recently asked why string players always use
vibrato. (I can't find the original message!)
The reason is one purely of habit - there is no real reason why
vibrato should always be used. The "habit" began in the early 20th
century, when orchestras began to expand to modern day proportions.
The theory is that vibrato helped to increase volume, and we have
simply become used to hearing it. Exponents of historically informed
performances believe that vibrato should only be used as an
occasional effect, not as the standard. It is certainly true that a
string instrument played without vib has a much more resonant sound,
although much harsher - vib seems to have the effect of softening the
tone.
It's not true that orchestras use vib at the same rate, although
players may do so from instinct. No orchestra ever decides how fast
or how slow the rate of vibrato ought to be, although players do
practice vibrato metronomically, (but this is more to get the left
hand used to moving at a constant speed and create an even vib than
to create a standard). Orchestras that use less vib generally play
more in tune!!
Operatic sopranos use a constant vib for the same reason - to
increase volume. As orchestras got larger in the late 19th and early
20th century, they were finding it more and more difficult to be
heard above the instruments!
I agree that brass band players often use vib to hide the bigger
problem of bad technique - how often do you see "elderly" players in
lower section bands with heads constantly nodding while playing?!
(now I'm probably going to get flamed for making sweeping
generalisations!). A band that doesn't use vibrato does have a much
sharper edge to the sound, and like the orchestra that doesn't use
vibrato often has better tuning and intonation. This is not to say
that vibrato doesn't have its place (or that bands that use it don't
play in tune!) - it is a valuable effect but it is one that ought to
be used very sparingly on occasions that need a warmer sound and
should not become a "habit".
I hope that this has been of interest - I've found the discussion
really useful so far!
Dave
M.D - Pangbourne and District Silver Band

David Roberts
Acting Assistant Librarian
Royal Academy of Music
Marylebone Road