Re: vibrato

Dear Mr(s) Shy,

BrassBand Police wrote:
> You are totally off base about Phillip McCann.  He and his vibrato
> held  the brass band movement back single handedly for 30 years.

Please give some reasons. Examples would be nice. In art, I believe no
one can claim to be 'right', so these are but opinions.

Now since McCann has been invited into the hot seats of the best bands
in the world then many would say that he was well respected in banding.
Your opinions obviously differ and I'm sure we'd all be interested in
hearing why you think his contribution has been completely negative.

> By the way, have you ever heard of Roger Webster?  Although I am
> not always keen on his vibrato, McCann could never even come close
> to him as a player.  And don't forget the master,  Derek Garside.

And your point about vibrato? That it is more important to be able to
play fast notes or high notes than be able to play nice notes?

David

--
David Read			     Queens' College
dtr20@xxxxxxxxx		      Cambridge CB3 9ET