RE: Vibrato

Hi all,
	I'm a regular lurker on this great list. I don't usually feel I can add
much to the discussions, and that's no doubt the case in this instance.
 But ---- I,m from the USA. I have been playing the trumpet since age 8 (I'm
now 51) -- all types of work when I was younger (now I'm a Greek Orthodox
priest) - Ice shows,Ringling Bros. & Pollack Bros. circuses, rock bands,
jazz bands of every ilk, 8 years in the West Virginia Symphony and lots of
concert band stuff. Right now I am the principal Cornet in the local
community wind band.
	I've observed a couple of things about US trumpet and cornet players (and
myself). Many, many trumpeters her in the states have never heard a Brass
Band of any kind. They associate vibrato with the worst excesses of the Jazz
players of the 30's & 40's. We are taught either explicitly or implicitly
that legitimate players don't use vibrato. Period.
	Several years ago I was priveleged to here Cory Band here in Charleston, WV
and was mightily impressed with their musicianship. Recently we heard the
band of the Grenadier Guards here as well as the Bristol-Easton SA band.
	In each case I was impressed with the tastefully produced vibrato of the
cornets and the "rightness" of how it sounded in conttext. I feel that each
of the styles of trumpet playing I have been priveleged to perform have
required a different style of playing.
	I am less impressed with the lack of vibrato used by American brass
bands -even those of the most flawless ability. I in fact find it quite a
challenge to try and reproduce the vibrato of a good British cornetist,
altho I am trying. I have switched almost exclusively to cornet for all
types of band playing and have gotten about 50% of my "Cornet" section to do
the same.
	IMHO brass band playing is another style, different from orchestra playing
and even wind band playing. I would, personally, hate to see this style
disappear or fall into confusion.
							Thank you for listening
							Father Dave