Vibrato/McCann/BBPolice

On Thu, 14 May 1998, BrassBand Police wrote:

> You are totally off base about Phillip McCann.  He and his vibrato
> held  the brass band movement back single handedly for 30 years.

One man and his vibrato restraining 30,000 bandsmen for 30 years. That is
some vibrato. I wish I had the same power. It's just as well he stepped
down, otherwise those naughty bands might continue to do silly things
like use vibrato. The very idea. YBS. Vibrato. Perish the thought.

> Unfortunately
> he is still an influence.

And quite right too, thank you very much. Surely a player with such a
distinguished track record should be able to contribute to the banding
movement after his retirement as a player.

> By the way, have you ever heard of Roger Webster?  Although I am
> not always keen on his vibrato, McCann could never even come close
> to him as a player.  And don't forget the master,  Derek Garside.

I have heard Roger Webster on several ocassions (in live performances and
on recordings) and agree that he is probably the best player around at
the moment. However, nobody can beat Philip McCann when it comes to tone.
He has milked it by producing seven hundred volumes of the "World's
Greatest Melodies", but why not? If I could, I'd do the same.

You're not Derek Garside, are you? I have to assume that you might be,
given that you have never given any indication as to your true identity.
I have a recording of "the master" playing Facilita at the National
Finals in about 1967 (?) and, although it is a pretty safe performance,
it is nothing to write home about. Certainly, there were other players
around at the same time who have made more impression (Jimmy Scott etc.)
and today's top players are in a different league. (That is only my
opinion, of course, and I obviously never heard Derek Garside play live).

By the way, who are you?
And why "lestrade"? If you had to pick
a policeman's name, then you might have picked one belonging to a decent
policeman. If I remember correctly, Lestrade was the one who lacked all
semblance of deductive power in the Sherlock Holmes stories? (I hope I'm
right, otherwise I'm going to look very stupid).

Submitted lightheardetly,

Cameron

--
  Cameron Mabon (International Idiot)	   cmabon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx