Re: European championships

-----Original Message-----
From: BFBB <bfbb@xxxxxxxxx>
To: brass-band@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <brass-band@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 14 May 1998 08:00
Subject: Re: European championships

>Well I wasn't party to the Scnapps drinking contest but our Flugel player
>did have to be stretchered onto the coach two others were unable to walk
>without assistance and a fourth managed to get to his seat in the bus
before
>collapsing!  Why do they do it?
>
>Pete

Aha!  So is this what this month's BBW coyly describes as "...the off-duty
antics of some British bandsmen ... (which) marred the occasion for others,
an example of amateur behaviour unworthy of the professional standards
achieved on stage"?

It reminds me of the famous time in the 1980s when Peter Wilson, editor of
The British Bandsman, trumpeted pompously in his organ about the disgraceful
practice of the Albert Hall audience sitting in the upper parts of the
auditorium, to shower the stalls with paper darts while awaiting the
results.  Next year, with Wilson on the stage in some capacity or other, the
masses responded - with a positive blizzard of missiles!  Tee hee.

Cheers

Alec