Necessity of a 4th trombone

Lately I noticed many comments that said adding a 4th trombone would be a
way to even out the balance and make scoring easier for the section. the
logic being there was an uneven number of trombones, and a 4th would make
mathematical and musical sense.

In my admittedely short brass band experience, I have been taught that the
bass trombone, while of course being a trombone, was closer to being an
extension of the bass section. It was ment to add definition and sharpness
to the tuba tone, and was to be the only true "edge" instrument in the
brass band, and occasionally coupling up with the rest of the trombones.

By that logic, the tenor trmobones would work out as being two (like the
baritones) and the bass trombone would serve as the bridge from the tenor
register (euphos and tenor trombones), same as the two baritones bridge
the gap from the tenor horns and the low brass.

To score a fourth trombone would throw the equation out of whack, unless
you were crazy enough to score for two bass trombones to even them up with
the baritones (dear lord, who would score for two bass trombones??? :)

Comments? Adrian, anyone else?

Regards,
Matt LaFontaine

Varsity All Star Brass Band
   '96 2nd Euphonium
The All Star Brass and Percussion
   '97 1st Baritone
   '98 Solo Euphonium
NABBA XVI Youth Solo Champion, Youth Ensemble Champion