Re: Vibrato and James Watson !! -Reply

Hi David and listlovers,

Jim Watson playing the cornet, and even to be imitated, THE CRITERIA... I beg
your pardon??? No, thank you.
What do we get here Monkey? It's already enough to us he's conducting, isn't it?
We can learn from those people, that's for sure. But if you want a current
trumpet player playing the cornet OK, have a  listen to e.g. Maurice Murphy and
another former Dyke player who was recorded at the Bergen European championships
1996  (can't remember right now his name nor the 2 pieces). You'll hear (even on
trumpet) the nice cornet sound with a controlled use of vibrato, even when
playing Haydn's trumpet concerto. No surprise of course they were formed in
banding.

Edy Van Asch
Belgium

>>> "David W. Buckley" <davebuckley@xxxxxxxxxxxx> 05/13/98 06:49pm >>>
Nobody is knocking vib when it is used to add to the music in a musical
way. But much brass band vib is simply unmusical and way over the top.
Listen to Phil Smith or James Watson play a cornet and imitate that
level of player. Cornets, trumpets or garden hoses need to sound correct
for what they are playing. Lets make that the criteria.
Regards, Dave.