Re: Masters 98

Hello

> Any views on the adjudication system to be used at this years contest.
>
> L R Eccleston

What a loaded question!

(For those who haven't read about this, at the All England Masters
contest this year the three adjudicators will not be able to
communicate with each other as is usual in British contests, and an
aggregate mark based on placings rather than points will decide the
winners and losers.  In the event of a tie, the result of one adjudicator
 - decided by secret ballot - will be weighted and prove the deciding factor).

To me this makes a lot of sense; I've always thought that to have two
or three adjudicators, then to allow them to discuss each performance so that
the adjudicator with the strongest opinion/personality has it his own
way was a waste of time and money, and probably resulted in many messy
compromise results.   I always feel slightly ill when the adjudicators
emerge from their box and announce that "we were in complete agreement
from start to finish and unanimously concur that the results are
indeed the right ones..."   I suppose what they mean is "we know best
- like it or lump it".

Personally  I'd sooner hear the opinion of one - suitably
qualified and experienced - adjudicator, but if the wider band
movement really does believe that the more adjudicators you employ
then the more 'correct' the results are going to be, the Cambridge system
goes some way to elicit a truer reflection of all the adjudicators'
opinions.  The tie breaker rule seems somewhat arbitrary and if it has
to be used with any regularity it may prove to be highly
controversial.  I hope that we are allowed to know the full results
from each adjudicator.

David

PS my spell checker changed your name to LR Eccentric.  I'm sure this
can't be right.