Re: French Horns

On 13 May, Alastair Wheeler <alastair@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> As a 'budding arranger,' obviously with many thousands years of
> experience, I've saved quite a bit of the discussion, but still disagree
> on most of Adrian's points.

That's an arrangers prerogative. You listen to what everyone has to say,
give it consideration, then use what you like best. Guess you won't be
using many of my ideas ;-)

> I looked up Adrian's ADIOS webpage and had a look at some of his
> samples. The comparison between his brass band and tentet (aside - why 2
> horns?  I thought the PJBE tentet was more standard, and more
> comercial? :) arrangments was quite revealing - many are basically the
> same, ie the BB versions are for a general large brass ensemble that
> happens to be playable by a brass band.  IMHO this is a shame, as it
> looks like Adrian isn't writing specifically for the combination we all
> know and love...

My 10tet scores are written basically for Eb trumpet/cornet, 2 Bb
trumpets/cornets, 1 flugel, 2 horns (or tenor and baritone), 2 trombones
(tenor and bass) and 2 tubas (euphonium and bass). This is in fact a
double brass quintet. I believe Howard Snell uses a similar
instrumentation in his small brass ensemble charts. My charts are very
versatile in that they can be played by any reasonable 10 piece brass
combination that you can think of. You can use as few as 1 or as many as 4
horns, as few as 1 or as many as 5 trombones. Both orchestral and brass
band pitches and clefs are catered for. There are actually 20 parts
supplied to cover the 10 parts in whatever pitches are required. The
charts are basically the same as my BB charts and are designed for those
bands that are deficient in full instrumentation. Although I label these
charts as 10tets, they have 2 percussion parts in addition to the brass
instrumentation.

My newer BB charts are written specifically for standard brass band, but
might also be used by bands that only have orchestral instruments, which
is what many of my American customers have asked for and appreciate. Just
thought I'd put the record straight Alistaire. Nice of you to look in on
my site anyway, and thanx.

> Now the big band charts, another story... If I was buying for the OU
> Jazz Orchestra I'd be interested.  I'd never have guessed Adrian was a
> bass trombonist.....  Shame there's no samples of the trombone ensembles
> online either.

Sorry 'bout that. I seem to spend so much time scoring, I don't allot
enough time to update my website. If you need credentials, my charts have
been played by Bones West in LA, Bay Bones in San Fransisco and other
large trombone ensembles in the USA that have been set up by George
Roberts and others. Some of them were also recently recorded by
Sony/Columbia in Tokyo, played by a 100 piece Japanese trombone choir plus
rhythm, with George Roberts and Lloyd Ulyate as guest soloists.

BTW, if any of you Japanese guys on the list took part in that concert, I
would love to hear from you.

Adrian

--
 /    \ _| (_)___   _____ ADRIAN DROVER