Re: French Horns

On 12 May, brassman <brassman@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I later became Johnny Richard's copiest.

You lucky sod!

> As you may know, Johnny Richards composed "Cuban Fire", "Adventures In
> Time" and arranged "West Side Story" all for Stan Kenton and all Grammy
> winners.

"Cuban Fire" is one of the best vinyls I have in my collection, though
I've always wondered why there were only 2 french horns in that band. Did
you forget to copy the other two parts? :-)

"West Side Story", another classic had 4 mellophoniums. The album would
have been nicer with french horns, but I guess Kenton found them
unsuitable for stage work. The forward bell instruments made more noise.
In fact, I used to own and play one of those Conn mellophoniums. In those
days I also doubled on alto and baritone saxes, having the same pitch as
the Eb mellophonium (which also had a crook to put it in F).

> I met Billy May once....

"Big Fat Brass", another great album. Whoever I lent that record to, I
want it back, d'y'ere!

Adrian

--
 /    \ _| (_)___   _____ ADRIAN DROVER