Re: Necessity of a 4th trombone

Dear Matt,

>Lately I noticed many comments that said adding a 4th trombone would be

>way to even out the balance and make scoring easier for the section.
the

>logic being there was an uneven number of trombones, and a 4th would
make

>mathematical and musical sense.

In a traditional (standard or brittish) brass band, you need 3 trombone
players (two tenor, one bass). The music is also scored for 3 trombones !
But most of all the Salvation Army Music is scored for 4 or 5 trombones !
(often the 1st and 2nd part are divided in an upper an a lower part !)

-two first, two second and on bass trombone.

When you add an extra trombone it will be easier for the others.

>To score a fourth trombone would throw the equation out of whack,
unless

>you were crazy enough to score for two bass trombones to even them up
with

>the baritones (dear lord, who would score for two bass trombones??? :)

If you are playing with 4 trombones you can play just with 2 first, on
second, and one bass trombone !

Regards,

Cornet Player Salvation Army

<italic>The Netherlands