Re: (No Subject)

Norm,

Derek Garside and his lovely wife Jan are living in Wales and is still
playing his cornet.  He has been to New York and Boston several times as a
soloist in the past few years.  He still has that sound.
We sat around talking to the wee hours of the morning about those old CWS
days with Alex Mortimer at the helm. He's a hell of a nice guy and a man of
class.

I'm also very glad someone mentioned his name on the list.  By the way
Norm, he was the repiano player at Brighouse at about age 17 under Eric
Ball.  When Eric Ball took over CWS, he brought young Derek to CWS which
began their "glory" days. Eric Ball and Brighouse won the Nationals in 1946
and then two years later Eric Ball and CWS won the British Open just to put
it into perspective. There is a recent CD that Derek can be found playing
on called Kings of Brass.

Mark Freeh (NYC)

----------
> From: Norm Harris <normal@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
> To: brass-band@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: Re: (No Subject)
> Date: Thursday, May 14, 1998 11:01 PM
>
> Thank you for mentioning DEREK GARSIDE, formerly of CWS Manchester in the
the late 50's and early
> 60's. He was my first idol/model.
>
> Does anyone out there know where he is now.
>
> Norm.
>
> BrassBand Police wrote:
>
> > To Ron Grice - the "true" brass band lover......
> >
> > You are totally off base about Phillip McCann.  He and his vibrato
> > held  the brass band movement back single handedly for 30 years.
Unfortunately