Re: Vibrato and James Watson !! -Reply

-----Original Message-----
From: Edy Van Asch <EVanAsch@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: brass-band@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <brass-band@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 15 May 1998 23:23
Subject: Re: Vibrato and James Watson !! -Reply

But if you want a current
>trumpet player playing the cornet OK, have a  listen to e.g. Maurice Murphy
and
>another former Dyke player who was recorded at the Bergen European
championships
>1996  (can't remember right now his name nor the 2 pieces...

Can't remember? Good grief!!!  The man's name is Rod Franks, and in my
opinion is an even more lyrical trumpet player than Watson himself.  Take a
listen to London Brass's 'Impressions of Brass' CD, or some of the later
PJBE recordings.

It's a matter of opinion, I know, but I've always thought that James
Watson's cornet playing has always sounded a bit - well, you know -
trumpet-like.  His recordings of Langford's Rhapsody, Gregson's Prelude &
Capriccio etc have always struck me as being a bit on the *edgy* side.  But
listen to his trumpet playing on the old PJBE albums - especially 'Romantic
Brass' - that, I think, is Watson at his very best.

As they say, discuss.

Cheers

Alec