Re: Vibrato

In your Message regarding "Re: Vibrato" dated 14 May 98, Ngbland
<Ngbland@xxxxxxx> said that ...

> it can only be a bonus to play different styles and improve players
> musicianship (i.e transposing, jazz phrasing,swing rhythms)

Very true - the brass band has been brought up on a diet of dreadfull
attempts to cover swing/rock & orchestral works which can only be done by
having the right feel for those type of music.

Even today, with much more enlightened arrangers around, bands still sound
like a pile of **** when trying such pieces. I've just taken delivery of
Adrian's superb arrangement of MacArthur Park & Bill Geldards Sentimental -
both arrangements that have for once not made the classic
mistakes (over scoring, no attempt to document style properly, missing
lines/dots etc etc). But I'll bet that you will hear these 2 arrangements
played on bandstands up and down the country and wish you hadn't! Nothing
to do with the arrangements, simply the way they are played.

Of course, there are exceptions - the Redbridge CD "close enough for jazz"
is closer than most and hopefully, my own band's use of "Sentimental" at
the forthcoming SCABA entertainment contest will be too.

And to prove I'm not totally against vibrato, I love the sound that
maynard ferguson creates and of course, the versatility in sound of both
Winton Marsarlis and Al Vissutti. I, for one, have found the "On/Off"
switch on the instruments I have played regularly
(trumpet/flugel/cornet/sop)
=A0=A0
Andy Wooler
Resident Conductor, Uckfield Concert Brass
MD The Classic Dance Band, Trumpet: Sussex Symphony Orchestra
andy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx , http://www.awooler.demon.co.uk