Re: Masters 98

Nice to see the Masters following our lead!!!

We used two adjudicators, in seperate boxes, at the "Land O' Burns Invitation
Contest" run by the Dalmellington Band last year and as it was such a success,
we're doing it again this year.

If anyone wants to e-mail me privately, I'll give them the complete results
which shows an almost unanimous decision, with the exception of one
disagreement over one band's placing.

With regards as to what happens if there is a tie - well, we used what I call
my "Countback System".  All bands were asked to perform a March, a Concert
Item composed or arranged by Gordon Langford and an own choice Test-Piece.
In the event of a tie, whoever had the highest marks for the Test-Piece would
be declared winners. If this also tied, we would then use the highest marks
gained in the Langford piece to decide, and if this also tied, then it would
be down to the March to separate them. If in the unlikely event that there
should still be a complete tie, then one of our adjudicators was allocated the
responsibility of choosing the outcome of the Contest.

In the end, 1st & 2nd places were pretty obvious, but we had to use the
"Countback System" to separate bands placed 3rd & 4th. (Incidentally, it was
the the Langford piece which decided this, the Test-Pieces also tied.)

Obviously with only one Test-Piece at the Masters, something like our system
wouldn't work - especially with a piece not broken into separate movements, as
Dances And Arias is.

However, the system of adjudicating worked for us and everyone - players,
officials and even the adjudicators themselves were pleased with it.

Sandy McAughtrie,
Contest Organiser,
The Dalmellington Band