Re: Vibrato/Tpt v cornet length

On Thu, 14 May 1998, Adrian Drover wrote:

> I can confirm that British and American trumpets, cornets and flugels all
> have the same tube length, providing they are all pitched in Bb soprano,
> but am no expert on Ozzie instruments.

I am hardly a physicist, and will gladly accept correction on this point,
but I do believe there is a difference in the length of trumpets and
cornets.  The distal antinode of an air column, which is the actual
acoustical length of the instrument, is situated beyond the end of the
bell.  The difference between the end of the bell and the actual
acoustical length is called end correction.  If you increase the taper of
the coulumn you will decrease the amount of end correction.  It a trumpet
tapered tube and a cornet tapered one were the same length, the cornet
would have a shorter acoustical length.  Therefore,  cornets need to be
made slightly longer than trumpets, and flugels slightly longer yet.

Regards,
Mike Solms
misolms@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
EEflat Bass, Scioto Valley Brass & Percussion