Re: Necessity of a 4th trombone, also baritone scoring

On Thu, 14 May 1998, Matt LaFontaine wrote:

> Lately I noticed many comments that said adding a 4th trombone would be a
> way to even out the balance and make scoring easier for the section. the
> logic being there was an uneven number of trombones, and a 4th would make
> mathematical and musical sense.
>
> In my admittedely short brass band experience, I have been taught that the
> bass trombone, while of course being a trombone, was closer to being an
> extension of the bass section. It was ment to add definition and sharpness
> to the tuba tone, and was to be the only true "edge" instrument in the
> brass band, and occasionally coupling up with the rest of the trombones.

The other trombonists should be able to vary their tones to either blend
or provide contrast.  It is also more than possible to play a bass trom
'nicely,' or so I have heard.

As for only 'occasionally coupling up with..', trombonists come in
sections.  Has anyone played in a piece (other than in a chamber group)
with a single trombone part?  It's not a pleasant experience.  Certain
Rossini overtures, for instance.

> By that logic, the tenor trmobones would work out as being two (like the
> baritones) and the bass trombone would serve as the bridge from the tenor
> register (euphos and tenor trombones), same as the two baritones bridge
> the gap from the tenor horns and the low brass.

Yes, the baritones are useful as a pair, but most scoring uses them in
conjunction with other section, ie splitting the 2nd off as a 4th horn
whilst the 1st doubles euph or solos at the 8vb.  Whilst vaguely on the
subject, what are people views on the modern scoring of B1/H2/B2 for a low
horn trio?

> To score a fourth trombone would throw the equation out of whack, unless
> you were crazy enough to score for two bass trombones to even them up with
> the baritones (dear lord, who would score for two bass trombones??? :)

It would solve a few breathing problems!  And can you imagnine the
Monagues and Capulets played alternate notes, in stereo?!  Though our
baritone players complain enough about just one bass...

But more seriously, the Sally manages very well with 4 tenor trombones and
one bass in a band, the 1st part often dividing.  Large wind orchestras
will have a bumper (or possibly 4 parts)  Big bands have 4 (or 5
sometimes) and forces marching bands often have 5.  Some orchestral scores
call for a section of 4, ie Wagner, Mahler.

Some serious benefits of having a 4th trombone:

* Possibility of arranging orchestral works better.  Trombone/tuba parts
always have to be distorted: bassi->basses, so idealy tuba->trom4 to get
some contrast (band and orchestral tuba playing being different in style)
but then what happens to your trombone parts?  So in the end the tuba part
gets given to one bass, a bit unsatisfactory sometimes.
* Also, Verdi, Wagner, etc used a Contra trombone or a Cimbasso, these
would sound better on a bass trom rather than a tuba in arrangments.
* the bass trom could concentrate on just bass stuff (apart from big band
things) (+)
* big band charts with proper quartets!

The cons are more in the inertia side of things.  This isn't like the
french horn debat, as bands exist that play trombone quartets or quintets
at the highest standard.  In fact, a bumper makes exellent sense for a
long concert, but unless test pieces are written with 4 parts (and they
won't be, because contest rules will need changing) 'outside' bands will
coninue with the 99% successful trio.

personally, I don't mind what happens, but on reflection there's no
overpowering need to change things, and the I'm happy enough with the
status quo.

(+)  Do any other bass trombonists out there dislike playing the 5th above
the bass in the low register?  I always find it hard to balance, and don't
like the way the tone is supported only by the basses.  I'd rather swap
with an Eb, then you get more of a ring to the sound... just don't like
the scoring, I suppose.

> Comments? Adrian, anyone else?

Anyone else, I'm afraid :)

--
  Alastair Wheeler
  Euphonium & Trombone				   Fundamental Brass