Re: French Horns

On Fri, 15 May 1998, brassman wrote:

> Adrian,
>
> I would like to see one of your 10tet scores. I have a book of charts that
> I arranged for ten (I call it a dectet) with 4 trumpets (everyone doubles),
> 1 french horn, 3 trombones, 1 euphonium and 1 tuba with optional
> percussion. (some with rhythm section). Howard Snell uses 1 Eb cornet, 2 Bb
> cornets, 1 Flugelhorn, I tenor horn, 1 baritone, 1 tenor trombone. 1 bass
> trombone, 1 euphonium, Eb tuba and percussion.  I wonder why he stopped
> doing it.

It does sound a good balanced combination but I guess it was uncomercial,
I havn't heard of any groups that use it, whereas I know of several using
the first, which I would consider a standard tentet (London Brass have a
webpage which gives an interesting history of the tentet, from its origins
with the PJBE.  http://www.easyweb.easynet.co.uk/~london-brass/ ) (oops,
just looked, it doesn't really.  Never mind..)

The second group is very much in the brass band tradition, it looks like
HS had been reading Denis Wright's 'Complete Bandmaster.'  In this,
forming a school brass group is discussed at length, starting from the
traditional quartet of 2 cornets, horn, euphonium.  The author then
suggests adding baritone, trombone and Eb bass to give a septet (I believe
this used to be a standard combination) which moves the horn to the more
effective alto line, then reccomends adding another cornet, preferably a
soprano, so that each part of SATB is doubled.  Adding a flugel is
sensible for tone colour, and bass trombone makes the tenor less lonely...
though personaly I dislike pairs of trombones, very hard to score for
effectivly.

I'm also reminded of James Shepherd Versatile Brass.  A great and
successful group, but does anyone else use the same instrumentation?  (the
same as HS's less the baritone)

> This past Christmas I arranged two double quintets for the Canadian Brass
> and the New York Philharmonic Brass joint Christmas Show at Lincoln Center.
>  I didn't like using two tubas but when you're hired.... you're hired.

Was one of those Jesu man of Joy's desiring?  I think I've seen that
arround.  What would you think if one quintet played standard, and one
played 2 trumpets and 3 trombones?  (eg orchestra/choir)

> How do I get the CD with the 100 trombones Adrian?  That sounds
> interesting.... especially with George Roberts and Lloyd Ulyate (two of my
> favorite trombone players).
>
> Hang in there Alastair.........
>
> Mark Freeh (NYC)
>
> P.S.  Adrian, who does your copying or do you use a computer?  Finale?

This is one thing I agrree with Adrian on I believe! :)

--
  Alastair Wheeler
  Euphonium & Trombone				   Fundamental Brass