Re:Willy Lang fanclub!

Dear List,

When I was a little boy (8 - 14) (1946 - 1951), Willy Lang was one of my
heroes.  "Bless This House"  and "Facilita" come to mind for certain. My
teacher, Mr. Best (1879 - 1957) always said, "Willy takes each note and
wraps it in silverfoil, before sending it along to us".   About a year
or so ago, with the help of a list member, I was able to write Mr. Lang
and tell him, in greater detail, essentially that which I have told
you.  I received a WONDERFUL letter in return!  If any of you on this
list "owe" someone a similar letter - why not take time, right now, and
write it.

Perhaps one of the most amazing things about the above is that I grew up
in Alliance, Ohio, USA.  My exposure to Black Dyke et all, came via 10
and 12 inch 78 rpm acetate recordings carefully shipped "over" By Mr.
William Best's sister, from England.

And so, to this day, I credit my brass concepts and brass playing
skills, so THOROUGHLY pounded into me, by Mr. Best, to the influence of
the British Brass Band.  No - I, don't have "the vibrato" (grin),  BUT -
I CAN "do it" if want to!!  And under certain circumstances, say, my
recordings of the Arban 14 Charac. or the H.L.Clarke Char. Studies,  I
am told that "it" (style and vibrato) is quite discernable to those who
can recognize "it".  I guess I am suggesting that, just as in all other
facets of cornet/trumpet artistry, the man is of far greater importance
than the equipment

Thanks for listening to the nostalgic ramblings of one who is about to
celebrate his 52nd anniversary of, "knocking on Mr. Best's door" for
that first trumpet lesson!

Oh, one last plea!  Please don't let them turn the British Brass Band
into a "brass ensemble" !!  ( : > )

Keep 'Em Flying!

Clyde E. Hunt

http://www.erols.com/bflatmus/pedagogy.html

Please stop by to hear an eleven -year-old's, "T'was A Very Happy Day"
(on REALAUDIO)

PS - Do Y'all still play, QUEENSBURY?