RE: Intonation (was Re: YAMAHA TEN (fwd)

The fiddlers get away with it because that's what they want.  The
combined sound (called the 'orchestra effect' at my university) of the
strings is based on their individual vibratos NOT being in sync.  Quite
a different thing with woodwinds and brass.  What makes a non-vib.
unison in perfectly tuned brass so awesome to me - and what makes that
sound so very different than one player amplified - is the individual
wavefronts of each player are each out of phase by different and random
amounts.

For example the trumpet fanfare at the beginning of Star Wars as opposed
to the C trumpet opening lick in Zarathustra.