RE: alternative instrument for a h (fwd)

>----------

etc. ...

>With the flugel you'll see that the bore diameter widens rather quickly and
>early as you approach the bell.  In that regard, it's much more like the tuba
>and euphonium than the trumpet and cornet, where the bell flare starts only
in the last few inches.  Even though it's pitched two octaves above the
tuba, the mindset of tone production is more closely akin to the tuba
>than the trumpet.
>
>As for the very interesting discussion on seating arrangements.  I'm a
>relative newcomer to banding, having only played in brassbands for 5 years
>while in Switzerland (Melodia), and all the Swiss bands there had pretty much
>the same seating: Solos left front (conductor's view), sop, rip, 2nd & 3rd
>back row left, flugel & horns front middle, Bb & Eb tubas back middle,
>barritones & euphs right front and trombones right rear.  I thought everyone
>did that, and it made sense to me from an arranging point of view.
>
>As an arranger, I have the option of using the flugel, for example, as the
>bottom voice of a cornet section, as the top voice of the horn section, or
>the middle voice of a cornet/flugel/horns section.  The other seating
>arrangements mentioned so far are also intriguing in their possibilities.
>
>As for Eb vs French horns: as you've heard, the Eb horn ("peckhorn") is
>virtually unknown/extinct, at least on the West Coast (of the States), so if
>you want a brassband, it's French Horns or nothing.

To me, the other main disadvantage of the French horns I've not heard
mentioned here is that, besids the sound being pointed back and mostly